What do all the top rated orthopedic dog beds have in common? Two words: Memory Foam; Sometimes called Comfort Foam, or Therapeutic Foam. This remarkable foam material was first developed by NASA for use in aircraft cushions in the 1960s. Today memory foam is the latest in human sleep technology. It’s used in popular mattresses and pillows, as well as helmets, shoes, and medical braces.
As it turns out, memory foam is also great for keeping our precious pets comfortable. It’s especially helpful for those dogs suffering from arthritis due to age or injury, or other musculoskeletal issues; all commonly known as orthopedic disorders.
An orthopedic dog bed with memory foam distributes a dog’s weight evenly which helps relieve pressure on the joints. It gives extra support to your pet’s spine, joints, and muscles, and the stiff foam allows the animal to get up much more easily after lying down for a while.
So let’s look at the top rated orthopedic dog beds available on Amazon, one of the world’s top companies, due to low pricing, great convenience, and wide selections.
1st Orthopedic Dog Bed on the List: Petfusion Ultimate Dog Bed
The Petfusion Ultimate Dog Bed is an Amazon’s Choice product, which means that it’s high in customer popularity and satisfaction, well priced, and available & ready to ship.
The bed comes in 4 sizes: Small (25 X 20″), Large (36 X 28″), X-Large (44 X 34″) and XX-Large Jumbo (50 X 40″).
What about medium, I wondered? I whipped out my tape measure to get an idea of some measurements and the Amazon ad concurred; the ‘Large’ is more like a Medium/Large size (36″ X 28″).
Each bed has a generous memory foam base (the inch measurement varies according to what size you need.) The base and cushion provide optimal support and comfort for your pet for increased health, mobility and energy.
The water resistant and tear resistant cover is easy to clean because it’s removable and machine washable on the gentle cycle. It’s also quite simple to spot clean and vacuum fur from it. The cover fabric is certified as “skin contact safe”, and the bed itself passes strict European safety standards.
The Petfusion Ultimate Dog Bed comes in 2 colors: Sandstone, and Chocolate Brown.
- It’s made of memory foam; the best for your orthopedically challenged pet.
- The bed comes in 4 different sizes so it’s not exclusive.
- The water and tear resistant cover is removable and machine washable.
- Did I mention it has a non-skid bottom?
- It’s certified as safe.
- There’s a 24 month warranty on any damage due to a manufacturer’s defect.
- It has a smart, attractive design with 2 neutral color choices that can easily fit into any interior decor.
- There’s that Small–/ Large/ X-Large/ and Jumbo size thing, making you wonder what size exactly you should get if you happen to have a medium size dog. For this I recommend the Large size, which is really more of a Medium/Large size.
- The measurement inches listed are the whole bed size, including the surrounding head cushion. The actual sleeping surface would be a bit smaller, and the dimensions are given in the Amazon ad.
- Replacement covers are available, but sold separately.
2nd Orthopedic Dog Bed: Big Barker 7″ Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed ~ Headrest Edition or Sleek Edition
The Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed is exclusive because it is made strictly for large, extra-large, or giant breed dogs. The reason for this is that the 2 levels of foam in the bed (“comfort foam” and “support foam”) are especially calibrated for dogs that have a good amount of weight per square inch. This bed would feel much too stiff to a smaller dog, and they would not receive any of the orthopedic benefits.
A 10 year money-back warranty says that this high quality orthopedic dog bed will retain 90% of its original shape and height and the therapeutic foam levels won’t flatten or pancake over time (or your money back). That’s pretty amazing since most older large and giant breed dogs tend to sleep as much as 16 to 18 hours a day.
The 100% microfiber cover is machine washable. Both the Headrest Edition and the Sleek Edition come in 4 different colors: Khaki, Chocolate, Charcoal Gray, and Burgundy.
- I like the fact that there are 2 editions to this particular orthopedic dog bed; with a headrest or without a headrest. Both are top rated in customer satisfaction.
- I think the 10-year warranty speaks for itself. If you’ve got an orthopedically challenged large breed dog, you want to keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.
- The microfiber cover is machine washable so it’s easy to keep clean.
- The beds are handmade by skilled craftspeople who have been making artisan furniture for over 30 years.
- Available in 4 different colors to fit any decorative color scheme.
- This particular bed is only made for Large, X-Large, or XXL (Giant) breed dogs. It excludes medium, small, miniature, and toy breeds.
- There is a waterproof liner available for both editions, but it is sold separately.
- The Big Barker might be too pricey for some folks, and it’s the most expensive bed on this list. But don’t forget to take into account that this will likely be the best and last bed you’ll need to purchase for your precious pet. The headrest edition is also a bit more expensive than the sleek edition.
3rd Orthopedic Dog Bed: The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed comes in several specialized sizes, from Small to XXX-Large. The Large, X-Large, and XX-Large are available with or without a headrest.
A solid base of high stability support foam is topped by a level of high density, premium grade orthopedic memory foam, assuring your dog of a comfortable night’s sleep or daytime snooze. This bed comes with removable covers that are machine washable (gentle cycle please!) and also includes a waterproof mattress protector.
The colors this bed comes in are gray and brown (trimmed or plush), but you have a variety of trim colors to choose from.
- It’s made of the right stuff ~ premium quality memory foam over a layer of support foam, covered by a waterproof mattress protector and a washable cover.
- The main colors are neutral and you can choose a trim color to fit your room decor. The trim colors include pink, blue, orange, green, black, and brown.
- The large dog sizes are available with a headrest for your Good Buddy or Favorite Girl.
- This bed very reasonably priced. I actually have this bed in 3 different sizes and my canine kids and I are highly satisfied.
- Both the cover and the protective liner can be washed on a delicate cycle.
- The bottom of the bed is a mesh material but it will slide on a hardwood floor. You may have to get a small rug to grip the bed in place, especially if your canine kid is extra large, rambunctious, or clumsy.
- The cover is durable but not ‘heavy-duty durable.’ It may not hold up for long if your dog likes to “dig” in his bed before laying down.
- I would recommend air drying or line drying both the cover and liner after washing.
4th Orthopedic Dog Bed: Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
The Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed does just what you would want an orthopedic dog bed to do for your pet, without the bells and whistles. There’s no head rest, no surrounding cushion, no decorative trim with colors to choose from, indeed no colors to choose from at ball. The bed cover is a light tan color.
It comes in Small, Medium, Large, and X-Large. This simple rectangular bed is a combination of sturdy support foam base topped with a level of high quality memory foam.
The cover has a TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) coating laminating the fibers to make it antimicrobial against bacteria, viruses, fungi, mold and mildew. The cover itself is also removable and machine washable on the gentle cycle.
- The best PRO about this practical but extremely functional orthopedic dog bed is that its very simplicity is reflected in the price! This bed is affordable for most anyone who has a canine kid with orthopedic issues.
- The antimicrobial laminated waterproof cover is a definite plus.
- It’s made of premium support and memory foam layers, essential materials for high quality orthopedic pet beds. All the foam is certified safe and chemical free.
- The covers are non-slip with rubber grips on the underside.
- What you see is what you get. There’s no color choices to fit the room decor, and the color is a light tan which may tend to need washing more often.
5th Orthopedic Dog Bed: Barksbar Gray Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Barksbar Gray Orthopedic Dog Bed is the last (but by no means least) top rated orthopedic dog bed on our list. The word ‘Gray’ is in the title because that is what color this bed comes in. It’s a bit exclusive because it comes in only 2 sizes, Medium and Large, but the ad suggests that can also be ideal for multiple small dogs.
This bed is made of high quality dense orthopedic foam and has a comfortable cotton-padded rim cushion to contour to your dog’s neck and head. The cover is ultra soft with an attractive gray quilted design, removable and machine-washable on gentle/delicate cycle.
It also comes with rubber backing on the underside to prevent any sliding on tiled or hardwood floors. The Barksbar Gray Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Dog Bed is the second most affordable bed on the list.
- This bed is made with premium materials and crafted with quality workmanship to give your pet the ultimate sleeping experience.
- It’s easy to clean with a removable, washable cover.
- The price is right.
- The extra comfy rim cushion and non-slip bottom are a definite plus.
- This bed only comes in 2 sizes, Medium and Large; Although if you happen to have several small dogs that like to sleep together, that could work too.
- The Barksbar Gray Dog Bed just comes in gray, but it’s a neutral color that can fit many decors, and the bed itself is attractive looking.
- The whole dimensions of the bed would be different than the actual sleeping space because of the rim cushion, but the Amazon ad gives the sleeping dimensions.
So There You Have It…
That’s my list of the 5 top rated orthopedic dog beds at Amazon. If you have an orthopedically challenged dog, I hope I have made it easy for you to make an informed choice if your goal is to make your Best Friend’s life that much easier and more comfortable. That certainly was my intention.
Thank you for reading this review and please do leave me a comment or any questions you may have below; And as always, Thanks for visiting MyGeriatricDog!